Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day Three Update


Hello friends and family,

Thanks for following along with our blog.  We would love your feedback on how you like this as a communication tool for the future.  I know many on our team have really appreciated the opportunity to look online and see people's responses to our posts.  So, please keep encouraging the team.  

Today was the first day of our 'pirate land' VBS.  I wish it was a day you could have all experienced.  We have to admit that we had our doubts about how many kids would show up for our VBS (especially considering the blistering heat today).  Much to our surprise, we pulled into the trailer parks with the vans and one honk of the horn brought the kids running!  Some vans had to load up twice.  All in all, our team ministered to about 40 kids from the Jackson area today.  It was a joy to see everyone in 'pirate garb' loving on kids.  The entire team pitched in and it was definitely a beautiful day of ministry.  Our team is quickly learning how the culture here affects EVERYTHING these children do.  Teaching the Bible, leading in games, doing crafts, playing music...these things translate differently to kids who come from such dismal backgrounds.  The learning curve for our Hope Church students is incredible.  They quickly begin inheriting grace, love, compassion, and other works of the Spirit of God.  They literally bloom before your eyes.  It's quite surreal.  I think most of our adult leaders would agree that 'debriefing' at night is always the highlight of the day.  The reflections our students make are moving, inspiring, and encouraging.  

Well, we appreciate your prayers.  There is much more we could say.  But, the hour is late and I can hear the guys jumping around upstairs.  They won't go to sleep until we make them :-).  Who raised these boys anways!?  ;-)  

From Jackson,
Brian & Todd Mease


6 comments:

photog said...

It is SO great to read and hear about "Opening Day". We rejoice with you who are rejoicing! How thankful we are knowing 'pirate days' are being well received by the Happy Kids! Sounds like Swashbuckler Mease and crew are impacting Jackson to the glory of God... Is it possible to make video available at the end of the day on the blogspot? Looking forward to your next update and pictures. Stay cool and close to Him!

the ewings said...

Your unfailing love is better to me than life itself; how I praise you! I will honor you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer. You satisfy me more than the richest of foods. I will praise you with songs of joy.
Ps 63:3-5
Tarry on, Mates!!!

Didn't know that pirates wore skirts :) - Chris, Mrs. Ewing

Arielle said...

Um, who is Todd Mease? As a mother of one of those boys, I understand the comment about their boundless energy!

Tell the righteous it will be well with them,
for they will enjoy the fruit of their deeds.
Isaiah 3:10

His love lives on through you all, Praise God!

Crull Family said...

Thank you for opening up a window into how the week is progressing. Your reports are an encouragement to those of us at home (ok.. and to be honest makes us a bit jealous that we can't be serving along side you this week too!).

I continue to pray for the team to have strength, flexibility, grace and unity and that your impact by eternal! I know it's hot and your days are long, continue to claim Phil 4:13! You will find strength in Him.

I'm sure you are an encouragement to those that serve in Jackson all year and you are light to those who God is calling into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Keep loving the kids.

Wild's Dad said...

Unless the kids are tied and gagged, please send more pictures.

What's up with the A/C, sounds more like a vacation than a mission trip.

The Pirate theme looks fantastic, I can't wait to hear the details.

Your time and efforts will be greatly rewarded

AU88 said...

Thanks so much for taking the extra time to share your adventure/mission project with all of us! We are so proud of you!
Mrs Glemaker